Sunday, April 24, 2011

ADJUSTMENT BACK TO THE STATES

Back from Haiti.....again another adjustment......how could it be that we all take so much for granted.  How do I get sucked in so fast to not knowing the difference between my needs and wants...........??

Since returning from Haiti, the past 4 days I have tried to picture the 70 year old farmer who walked 1 1/2 hours to the "clinic"we set up in La Coma (NW Haiti).  This particular man had hands that were sore, swollen and "crippled" most likely from arthritis. He was hardly able to sit down in the chair in front of me because of his back and knee pain. His knees were so swollen, he looked like he was over 100 years old.  Apparently his daughter died in the Cholera epidemic in December, her husband left "many years ago" and this 70 year old man has been providing food/care for his 4 grandchildren. ages 6 months to 7 years old.  In addition, he said he could not see very well.  He had never have had medical care before.   You see most Haitian people don't have medications for headaches and/or aches and pains.  They do not have glasses to help them see. There is no retirement.  They work hard or they die.................. they work until they die.

 His 4 grandchildren were malnourished and begging for water he said and he admitted to serving them  dirt cakes at least once per day to help with their hunger (this is a relatively common practice in Haiti).   He did have a donkey that his 7 year old grandchild could take on the hour journey to go get clean water but he had to sell the donkey for money.  The money was used for a Tap tap to transport his daughter to the nearest  "cholera clinic" which was about 2 hours away.  He told me during this visit he has nothing else to sell.

Haitian people are so amazing.  He came into the exam room with a smile on his face, saying "Mesi, Mesi." and left saying "Mesi, Mesi" I had nothing to offer him other than Ibuprofen that I had brought from the states, a couple of protein bars and toothbrushes for his grandchildren that were donated from friends from the states.  I asked if I could pray for him and he said yes....

"Heavenly Father, thank you for creating this special man.  Thank you that he is a faithful servant to you.  Please Lord, give him strength so he is able to take care of his grandchildren.   Lord I ask that you put this man in the palm of your hand to protect him.  Please provide the food that is needed for him and his grandchildren.  Please bless him abundantly.  He is a strong believer in you Lord, please take away his pain in the name of Jesus.  Give him hope and peace.  Protect him in YOUR precious name, Amen"

 The 70 year old man hugged me, thanked me for the Ibuprofen and said God Bless you.  He opened the door and left for his long journey home.  Once again I look over at my interpreter with tears in my eyes.....saying "how can this be?"  Most of the interpreters say the same thing......"this is how it is in Haiti".

That statement is very hard for me to hear and hard for me to accept.


Julie and I have seen and prayed for many people in our last 3 medical missions.  We have seen miracles, diseases, death and in this journey the joy of life.  The eyes of the Haitians pierce through your soul  It is something you cannot explain until you experience it.  They have strength beyond belief, courage, wisdom, thankfulness, unfailing faith and hope. 

Thank you God for this experience!  I ask that you please have it change me from the inside out so that I can be more compassionate, thankful, and hopeful.  I also ask that you give me the strength, courage and wisdom to be able to help others.  I ask that these past 3 missions will help me to overcome my own obstacles in life.  Sometimes they seem so huge, but in comparison they are so small.

Mesi for helping us with this journey to help the Haitian people.  May HE bless you abundantly for helping us!

No comments:

Post a Comment