Sunday, May 30, 2010

Be still my soul

My mind cannot stop thinking about the incredible people of Haiti. The second to the last day we were in Haiti we went to a tent city far from Port Au Prince. We were dropped off with our suitcases filled with medications.  Young women and men, adults, children and the elderly were in lines ready too be seen. The tarps were already set up for "our" medical clinic.  Just like every day, it was very hot and humid. Julie and I were running around frantically trying to get the pharmacy and our exam areas set up.  In the faint distance  we could hear singing. The music was coming from where we saw the people lined up. They were singing worship songs to GOD.  Even though it was being sung in Creole, I knew the melody.  It was a song I knew and sang back in the states when I was young,........younger.


Be still, my soul; the Lord is on thy side;

Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;

Leave to thy God to order and provide;

In every change He faithful will remain.

Be still, my soul; thy best, thy heavenly, Friend

Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.


Be still, my soul; thy God doth undertake

To guide the future as He has the past.

Thy hope, thy confidence, let nothing shake;

All now mysterious shall be bright at last.

Be still, my soul; the waves and winds still know

His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.


As I stood under that blue tarp hearing them worship I was thinking about the Haitian people.  People that have to fight for water, food, and medical care.  The strength, faith and hope they have is beyond discription..  You could tell by the looks on their faces and the fervor in their singing that they knew that One whose voice ruled over the winds and waves and that He would remain faithful to them. I thought of that verse in Jeremiah that we quote so frequently: “I know the plans I have for you, “ declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.”

I have been working with re entry in to this world of mine.  I  have been moved as to how much the people of Haiti understand and live out these verses.
Be still my soul
God will provide and help us with our grief and pain
Trust God to provide, He will remain faithful.
Through tough times, He will lead us to a joyful ending.
HE is in control of the past, present and future.

WOW, what a journey........pleae join us on our next mission.  It will change your life!

 Blessings to you all.  Tricia

1 comment:

  1. What sweet and touching thoughts. Made me lonesome for Nicaragua and it's dear dear people who live by faith, because that is all they have and God is sufficient!

    ReplyDelete